Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Jo's Juicing Beginnings

Can you believe I did it? I finally bought a juicer five days ago after thinking about getting one for a year! I am officially starting to juice. I have been wanting to do a juicefast for a long long time. I know that there are places where I can order pre-made juice and have it delivered, but where is the fun in that?

I never thought I'd buy a Chinese made juicer, but what made me decide after looking at every single one of them for thirty minutes was that it has a blender part. I can use it as a juicer or turn it into a blender if I wanted. The best of both worlds!

Rewind three days ago to when I started to pour over the reboot with Joe website for recipes. On Saturday, I went shopping at the Chinese fruit and vegetable market. I know how well priced the fruit and veggies are at the market, so I knew it would be the perfect place to stock up. I went to see my favorite vendor and bought three times more produce than I usually buy. I bought mandarins, green apples, spinach, yellow and red peppers, lettuce, watermelon, ginger, celery, and beets.

I decided after reading the reboot with Joe website to do a five day juicefast. For anyone who doesn't know who Joe Cross is, let me educate you. Joe Cross made a documentary called, 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead'.  He fasted for 60 days where he lost 100 pounds and went off a lot of his medications he was taking for hypertension and other maladies. He is an inspiration to millions of people who hopped on the juice craze after the documentary came out. Here is the movie if you haven't seen it. Worth a watch!



I want to juice for a myriad of reasons. Mostly because I know how healthy fruit and veggies are. I really don't think I eat enough of them and this is a way to get more of them. You have to use an awful lot of veggies just for one juice I recently found out. I also want to clean out my system as in detox by juice fasting. A great effect will also be weight loss. I can easily lose 30 pounds which I won't do in five days, but if I get into this enough I may end up fasting for more time. I'll have to see how it goes. So the goal is to drink 4-6 glasses of juice a day. I have a program mapped out on the reboot with Joe website.

For the last three days I have been drinking one juice a day. It has been so much fun experimenting and trying the different juices. Today I started drinking two juices a day. What I am doing this week is called a pre-cleanse. I am slowly cutting out all white/processed carbohydrates, sugar, alcohol, dairy, caffeine and meat. I will keep drinking two juices and then switch to three after a few days. I want to start the juice fast in four or five days (Sunday or Monday). It works out well because I am off work all week next week due to National Week.  It will be a perfect time to fast as I'm sure it will be a lot of work making juice 4-6 times a day. Plus, there may be side effects the first few days like headache, diarrhea, mood swings and hunger pangs, etc.

So far I've tried three different juices. I tried the carrot (3), apple (2), and ginger (1 inch) thus far which is amazing!!! The carrot, apple and ginger is by far my favorite drink. Yum! Today I tried a lemon (1), lime (1), celery (2 stalkes), spinach (ten leaves) and mandarin (2) juice. I called it 'Sweet 'N Sour'. It was so sour, with a hint of sweetness. Tonight, I tried what's called 'Sunrise Gold'. It included pineapple, lemon (1), yellow pepper (1) and ginger (2 inch). This juice was also very sour, but more sweet as I added half a pineapple. I love how fast the juicer makes juice. I love experimenting.

I ran to the western type store earlier as I ran out of carrots and apples. I ended up buying $40 of veggies/fruit. Haha! The good thing about juicing here in China is that it is cheaper to buy fruit and vegetable especially at the market or Chinese grocery store. If I was trying to juice in the west I'd be paying way more for produce. No time like the present!

I was looking for Kale in the market, but I didn't see it. I found out that they do sell it here by a colleague who found it last year. I asked a Chinese teacher to write the name down in Chinese so I can show it to the vendor next time I go. Kale is a staple in a lot of the green juices and I want to find it. I have been using spinach as a substitute which is working good. I notice that some of the veggies like spinach and celery don't keep that long. I need to make sure to refrigerate them as I use spring water ice cubes to make the juice cold.

I'll keep a journal of the process and may add some pics over time of the juices I make. Happy Juicing! 







No comments:

Post a Comment