Sunday, September 27, 2015

Juicefast- Day 2 - Will The Real Kale Please Stand Up

I can't believe it! I found western type Kale today at one of the markets. I never thought that would ever be a highlight of my day. Today I woke up with energy. I mean a lot of energy. I felt like I was in fast forward mode. I had my apple, carrot and ginger for breakfast as it is one of my favorites. I had some 'un-beet-able' beet juice made in the fridge from yesterday, but I really didn't want to drink it. Bleh! I went to the gym after breakfast and did a pretty good workout of 30 minutes on the bike and some weights.

For lunch I wanted to try a bit of a different 'green' juice so I tried the 'Green Lemonade' juice.

1 apple
2 handfuls of spinach
8 kale leaves
1/2 a cucumber
2 celery sticks
1 lemon

*1 serving

I didn't find this juice as good as the 'Mean Green' one, but I did drink it. I found it harder to drink the juices today overall.

For lunch I was out, so the only thing I could do was go to my local juice bar and grab an apple, ginger and carrot juice. I didn't see the girl make it, but I swear she put oranges in instead of apples. I was burping orange all afternoon and felt a bit sick because of it.

After lunch I went to a different market then where I usually go. Something green and curly caught my eye as I was walking by the stalls. It was calling out my name. Could it really be the mysterious kale? The vendor spoke some English when I asked her if this was kale. She said, 'Yes, Kale'! I told her it was hard to find kale in China. I'm not sure she quite understood me. I bought quite a lot of western kale.  Can anyone say, 'Crazy Juicer'?

After reading up on the benefits on kale, I found an article from the Daily Mail titled,
"Kale: The toxic truth! How our obsession with the leafy greens can lead to bloated bellies, thyroid problems, and and even kidney stones".  Yikes! Yet,  I don't know how much faith I have in the daily mail. Although, I have read this information elsewhere. I will switch kale up with spinach and other greens just in case.


At the market I also bought a new cart because mine was falling apart. I was also looking for an ice cube tray. These trays are very hard to find in China. No kidding!  I couldn't believe I found one. They only had one left, so I grabbed it. I've been using a small ice cube tray to ice my juices and it just isn't enough to have 1 tray when I am juicing every 2 hours.



I made the 'Mean Green' with real kale for dinner. Yay! I didn't taste much of a difference compared to the Chinese one, but it does look different.


 Western Kale on the left and Chinese Kale (Kai-lan) on the right.



  'Mean Green' ingredients including western kale!


After dinner I made a new juice. There was supposed to be blueberries in it and grapes along with some mint. I had frozen blueberries. I didn't realize that frozen fruit will not juice. I guess it isn't a blender after all. I got a few drips of juice from the blueberries, but not enough. I ended up adding watermelon instead (1/4 small watermelon). I added about 15 purple grapes. I also threw in a few kale leaves. In addition I added a handful of fresh mint. Mint is growing outside of my apartment building. I went to pick some fresh mint. Mint is delicious! It was my own concoction. I'll call it 'Purple-Blue-Green.'  It wasn't too bad actually. It tasted sweet, but I could taste a bit of the greens.





So how did I feel today? I felt energetic for most of the day. I was tired around 4pm as I did exercise today in the gym and walked about half hour to the market. I did feel some hunger pains especially before dinner. I bumped into a Subway restaurant today and thought about eating there for about five seconds and then kept going. At that point because it was close to dinner, I bought a coconut juice and drank that. So today I had two coconut juices, but that is totally fine. I felt hungry and a bit dehydrated this afternoon. On to day three... :)




No comments:

Post a Comment